Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Research and Development Group At Work

Hi Susan:
On Friday, March 10, 2006, West Hawaii Today published the "breakdown of what $172 million allotted to Big Island projects would go toward;". There is $1,000,000 allotted in the current year's budget and $3,000,000 allotted in next year's budget for Kona International Airport Terminal Modifications. Can you tell me where I can go to find out what this money is specifically to be spent on?

Thanks,
Barry

Aloha Barry,
This is a good question for the Research and Development Group to answer.
I will forward it on to them.
Thanks, Susan


My first guess is the C-17 SAAF project, which includes expanding the runway and providing additional emergency response equipment and quarters, as well as hazmat containment - among who knows what other features.
I noticed that a security road is in the works for the airport perimeter, which would also put a giant dent in any budget. I'm presuming that is the State budget referred to. I do have the EA for the SAAF project, which I did commented on to no avail (that military projects belong at military installations and not in a residential area, for a multitude of specific reasons that were discounted).

This was to be a DOD cost, or so I thought. Is it possible that the State is enhancing the airport for the benefit of the military? Don't rightly know, but will contact Linda Lingle to find out.

Thank you for bringing up the subject.

Barbara Scott


FYI:

http://www.state.hi.us/lrb/dir/dot.pdf

Aaron Stene

No comments: