Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rep. K. Angel Pilago

Aloha
Thank you for your attention to the situation with the Kalaoa Fire Station. I had a call today from Betsy Tranquilly of WHT. She will be following up on the story. In discussing the issue with her, I shared the following thoughts:
If Dan Bolton is not held to his promise of providing the parcel of land originally agreed upon for the Fire Station, it will put the community at the short end of the stick. It appears that what we thought was a binding agreement, may not be. This will be a major set back in getting emergency services to our mauka families.
I will be asking Corporation Counsel for an opinion if Bolton’s agreement was/is binding. The donation of land on Mamalahoa Hwy by Bolton was the key element for the subdivision to be approved. I will be asking the Planning Department for an update and Corporation Counsel for an opinion. We will also be asking the new owners where they stand and discuss the project with Fire Chief Oliviera in order to do a full and complete investigation.
I am going to do everything I can to complete the Fire Station under the original agreement, and soon. I don’t believe we should have to buy the land because it was already promised to the County "in-lieu" of a monetary "fair share" contribution. Plans have been completed for that parcel, and that money will not be lost if we stick to the original agreement. I hope we policy makers will be diligent and make sure developers keep their promises to us. I am committed to push the Kalaoa Fire Station through as hard as I can this session.
K. Angel Pilago

No comments: