Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Senator Daniel K. Akaka's Letter

November 18, 2005

Dear Ms. McGeachy:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for creating "West Hawaii County." I noted your letter to Hawaii State Representative Calvin Say on this topic.

As you know, the Hawaii Constitution allows the Hawaii State Legislature to establish counties and political subdivision within Hawaii. As such, this matter falls within the purview of the State of Hawaii, and it has been my general practice not to intervene in matters within the sole jurisdiction of the State of Hawaii and the counties. I am pleased to see that you have contacted your Hawaii State Representatives regarding your support for establishing "West Hawaii County," and I hope you will continue to be active in the political causes that are important to you.

Once again, mahalo for contacting me.

Aloha pumehana,

DANIEL K. AKAKA
U. S. Senator

No comments: