Thursday, November 10, 2005

Response to:Rep. Helene Hale [rephale@capitol.hawaii.gov]

Aloha Rep. Helene Hale,
Thank you very much for your response. The bills you introduced for Home rule/ local how does it work?
Please read our plight in the http://westhawaiitoday.com today.
Years ago I got involved in the tot park at the old airport. We needed $70,000.00 for the completion of the park. I went to Hilo to see how do the parks work and is there any money for a tot park in Kona? I was told Kona already has parks and there is no money. I asked what parks does Kona have? He looked down and said here is one right here on Palani Road. I have lived here a long time and have no memory of a park on Palani Road. Come to find out it was the medium strip down the middle of Palani Road that was being considered a park. Right there I know I was dealing with someone so far removed from my area that he didn’t have a clue about my community.
Again I got involved in the Kona Coastview/ Wonderview water improvement district. I was told NO WAY. They tried it three times before over the past 30 years and it won’t go. The Government or homeowners won’t agree and do it. Today we have a 6 million dollar water system under construction. 2.5 million Was from Federal Grants that I found on line and by called Washington DC.
Progress can happen. It does take time. You are correct when you say Hawaii’s government history is different from the mainland. I believe the government is different every where you go. Montana (wild west) is totally different then New York. You can never compare apples and oranges. You can however take the best of every thing and incorporate it into a working system for the tax payers.
Are you aware of the taxes we pay?
The taxes for each county are as follows:
Per $1,000.00
Oahu: 3.75
Kauai: 4.30
Maui: 5.86
Hawaii: 9.10
What is wrong with this picture? We pay the highest taxes in the State and have nothing to show for it. Any government would be better then what we have now. Taxation without proper representation is happening and we have no say. If you are willing for drive 200 miles to a county council meeting and if they defer and defer a decision, then you just keep driving and showing up. It’s like living in Los Angeles and driving to San Diego for a town meeting.
Help us move forward for the future of West Hawaii.
Thank you again for your follow up.
Aloha,
Mrs. Susan McGeachy
mcgeachy@hawaii.rr.com
http://hawaiicountyissues.blogspot.com/

No comments: