Monday, October 12, 2009

Emily Tanks her Cousin Billy on da tent bill Veto

Feed: Big Island Chronicle


Posted on: Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:19 AM

Author: Tiffany Edwards Hunt

Subject: Letters — Puna Councilwoman Emily Naeole Reflects On The Tent Bill Veto





Image courtesy of John U. Rees

(Following is a statement Puna Councilwoman Emily Naeole released this week in response to Mayor Billy Kenoi’s veto of Bill 73, dubbed the tent ordinance, which she put forth earlier this year after it failed to win over the Council majority last term. Email your letters to newswoman@mac.com.)

From the very beginning, I wanted Bill 73, the tent ordinance, to be island wide. In the spirit of compromise with fellow council members, Brenda Ford and Dominic Yagong, who had objections about this ordinance being in their district and for fear of, according to Yagong, ‘tent cities springing up in my district’ I agreed to make Bill 73 district specific. It is this very compromise that our Mayor takes issue with and I respect the Mayor for that thought because my intention from the very beginning was to write an amendment to the building code not just for Puna but for everyone on the island who is serious about building their dwelling.The Mayor has made it very clear that he considers this island as one and to sign this bill would be to set precedence that could give an opening for the County Council to design district specific legislation to suit their specific needs. The Mayor indicated to me that he is in agreement with the intention of Bill 73 in that it solves a challenge to home building and ownership and yet he must veto it anyway because it is not for the whole island.

Will there be another attempt to bring the matter before the people? As for the future, will I try again? It is too soon to say.

I would like to thank those who worked with my office on this issue and you know who you are.

Our island community is a unique place. As for bill 73, it is an attempt on my part to put mercy compassion and understanding into a portion of our code.

Again, I want to thank my cousin, our Mayor, for watching over the interest of the entire island.

Lau Lima,

Emily I. Naeole

Council Member 5th District






View article...

No comments: