Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Voter Registration inequity? Hilo Mall!

Is there a voter registration inequity?>>
>>
>>> Tell me if I am overly picky and senile, or if there is a problem. July
>>> 1
>>> I was
>>> in Hilo in Kuhio Mall, when I walked past a storefront with windows
>>> emblazoned
>>> with American flags and signs for Wiki-Wiki voter registration. As I got
>>> to the door,
>>> I saw that it was the transplanted Hawaii County Voter office.
>>> Great idea to spend large amounts of tax dollars for very expensive
>>> shopping mall space;
>>> most everyone in Hilo must pass through Kuhio Mall, so what great place
>>> to
>>
>>> register voters,
>>> even at high cost.
>>> The problem I have with this, is that I know of no other high traffic
>>> area
>>
>>> in the county where
>>> such a voter registration 'drive' is in progress. As a matter of fact, I
>>> can't think of even a
>>> hot dog stand to do this elsewhere on the island. It seems to me as
>>> though
>>
>>> the playing field
>>> is not level; when the next mayoral election takes place, we'll likely
>>> find a significantly higher
>>> percentage of Hilo voters registered, with a proportionate skewing of
>>> ballot results.
>>> In the past, the County Clerk's office had 'walk in' voting- and kept
>>> the
>>
>>> Hilo polls open
>>> longer hours than elsewhere on the island. Is there some federal voting
>>> protection, or do
>>> we just have to grin and pay for it with our taxes? Am I overreacting?
>>> Thanks for any
>>> feedback. Marshall



Marshall, As you know, the County Building is being vacated by the end
>> of
>> July or first part of August, because of mold and mildew--plus a 40+ year
>> old roof that has never been fixed (because of asbestos they say)and
>> leaks
>> like a sieve.
>>
>> Because the Elections Division had to be up and running early this year
>> (an
>> election year) we had to find a place for them. They are in the old
>> Penny's
>> store that will soon have other tenants, but it was also found that being
>> in
>> a Mall was a great advantage for the public. When the County building is
>> renovated, all the divisions and departments that moved out will be
>> moving
>> back in -- and that includes Elections Division.
>>
>> The "Elections Division" is responsible for ALL registrations, nomination
>> papers, candidates, etc. the entire office is in the Mall. One serves
>> the
>> entire island.
>>
>> I recall one year we had a Registration Booth in the Mall a few doors
>> down
>> from Ross's. Some local citizens actually made arrangements for using it
>> since it was vacant at the time. If there were no problems with the
>> County
>> Building, the Elections Division would still be in it. At one time there
>> was also a voter registration booth at the Keauhou Shopping Center for a
>> short time.
>>
>> I hope this helps to explain why the Elections Division is where it is.
>> It
>> is temporary... Aloha, Virginia


Thanks Virginia. I knew the official 'cover story'. Why did the elections
> division not
> move to the space occupied by one of the other departments, and they to
> Kuhio
> Mall? The answer is in the resolutrion you kindly forwarded to me:
> " Whereas the temporary move to Kuhio Plaza could increase voter
> registration"
> (read "in Hilo but not elsewhere in the county") "and absentee voter
> turnout
> due to its high visibility , convenient location and a high volume of foot
> traffic..."
> (read "of 99% Hilo/East Hi. residents")
> This is precisely the inequity I see- one I suspect that a Federal
> elections commission
> would find unacceptable. Would it be acceptable, to take a very extreme
> example of
> the same issue, to put voting machines in Kuhio Mall, but not elsewhere in
> the County?
> I think not- all districts should have equal access to voting machines
> and/or ballots,
> and all districts should have equal county sponsored voter registration
> drives, with equal
> convenience to register. This seems to me to be one more power grab by
> East Hawaii,
> and I am frankly astounded that those who were supposedly representing
> other districts
> rolled over and played dead for the Hilo machine.
> Thanks for so speedily sending me the documents which I did not have, and
> the official
> cover story which is what I already guessed would be the rationalization.
>
> Best wishes,Marshall
>

No comments: